Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Animal Print Tank Top Makeover Tutorial

It’s official.  Summer Break is here. Now.  I know…..  We have cleaned out our closets to make room for the summer clothes we will be shopping for!  Aaaaaaaah, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Love shopping.  In cleaning out our closets, this shirt was tossed in the donate pile.  I yanked it out SO fast as I just love animal prints.  It would make a great tank top-matches our current weather!

100_0322

I cut the top just under the sleeves!  Of course, saving the cut pieces of sleeves.

100_0324

I hemmed the top part that I cut.  I love the fact that the bottom is already hemmed.  Great quickie makeover!

100_0325

The cut sleeves now become your straps!  This is definitely to your liking.  I like a thicker strap so it covers those pesky bra straps.  Yep, one of my pet peeves…. I measured how long I needed my straps to be.  I put on the shirt/tank part and measure from the top of the tank, over my shoulder, and reaching the top part of the back of the tank.  Easy peasy….  I came up with 16 inches and cut my fabric strips at 18 inches giving me seams allowances and sewing it to the tank itself.  I had just that measurement….

100_0326

100_0327

100_0328

I cut 4 inches wide by 18 inches long.  I folded the strip in half(so it is 2 inches wide) and ironed it.  Open up the strip and lay it flat.   Then I took the raw seams and turned them towards my ironed lineby a scant 1/4 to 1/2 inch and ironed that.  I then folded my strip along the original ironed line ensuring that all raw edges are encased inside.  I then sewed all sides again making sure raw edges are inside!  Repeat for other strap!

100_0330

Try on your tank again and place your sewn straps where you like them.  Pin in place front and back.  (you might need a friend to help pin the back)  After carefullyRolling on the floor laughing removing your pinned tank, sew them in place-front and back!!

You are DONE!!

I still had some scraps leftover and just eyeballed it and cut out some flower shapes, added a button, and hand sewed it to my new tank top!

100_0335

100_0333

This particuliar shirt is made of a knit fabric.  Sewing with knits is super easy-ONLY if you use a knit needle.  It makes all the difference in the world.  This is such a super easy and fast makeover.  I LOVE these projects because of that and also for the fact that I can repurpose fabric that I just love but may not LOVE the style of the shirt! 

I am sure you have some long sleeved shirts that you can makeover as well.  Anyhow, who wants to wear a long sleeve shirt.  I am happiest in my tank top and my flip-flops.  It’s a good day….Sun

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...