Friday, September 17, 2010

Dress Gone Wild!

Did you ever buy fabric and plan on creating something specific with it, (like a dress) but don't even have a pattern in mind, but you just KNOW what you want to do?  Does this make sense?  I purchased this fabric at Joann's a few months ago and I knew immediately when I saw it, I had to have it.  I had to have it because I thought a summery-type dress would be perfect for this fabric.  I purchased what was left on the bolt.  2 1/2 yards and NO pattern in mind.

I went home and looked through the mounds of patterns I have purchased over the years and not one seemed to be the "one".  Since I only had 2 1/2 yards of fabric it really narrowed down choices.

I found this pattern- a New Look #6980.

6980

 

I liked all the different versions in one pattern.  Yes, this is the one!  I chose the short version of View C. 

When I went to cut the pattern out, the fabric was just shy a few inches.  I tried moving it up, down, sideways, etc.  to get it to"fit".  It just didn't.... So I decided to cut it and it would probably be fine.  I usually hem my dresses more than the pattern says too.  After sewing the dress, it was WAY too short...

When push comes to shove, here it is!

Jo's Zebra Dress 012

I had to add 4 inches of solid brown fabric.  There is just enough zebra fabric left over to make a headband.  Whew...

Here is the back of this dress.  I LOVE that it has thin straps.  I can still wear a normal bra and the straps won't show.  When constructing this dress, I tried the dress on and strategically sewed the straps to perfectly cover up those hideous bra straps(one of my pet peeve's).  I HATE bra straps showing!

Jo's Zebra Dress 026

I really like how this dress turned out.  It was an easy pattern to put together.  I will definitely sew another one.

Question to self:  Isn't it just easier to walk into a store and buy a dress?  Sewing a garment takes planning and time.  Not to mention if you hit a few snags.... My mother would tell me"just buy a dress". 

But, having one-of-a-kind, perfectly tailored for me garment.... PRICELESS!  Also, I'm just crazy wild about sewing.... ;)

2 comments:

Cole's Corner said...

I hate bra straps showing, too.
Love your dress!

Anonymous said...

I like your dress! I had the same problem with my pink plaid dress which I ended up giving to my daughter (too short & didnt look right when I tried to add extra fabric). I just came across your blog & I'm adding you to my blog. You create such fun and modern clothes & bags.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...